Colby Shaw- Outside reading #6
Rethinking Hunting and Sustainability
As a college student who hunts pretty regularly, I’ve always seen it as part of my lifestyle, not really something I connected to bigger ideas like sustainability. But this reading actually made me think about it in a different way.
One thing that stood out is how every way we get food has some kind of impact. It’s easy for people to judge hunting, but the article points out that agriculture can damage habitats too. That hit me, because when I’m hunting, I’m way more aware of the land and the animal than I ever am buying food at a store.
I also liked how it talked about conservation. A lot of people don’t realize hunters are a big part of funding wildlife protection. From my experience, most hunters actually care a lot about keeping populations healthy, it’s not just about taking.
Overall, it didn’t totally change how I see hunting, but it made me realize there’s more to it than people think. It’s not just tradition or sport, it can actually be part of a more responsible way of interacting with nature.
Comments
Post a Comment